Monday, October 28, 2013

Edgar Allan Poe Webquest Instructions


"It is impossible to say how first the idea entered my brain, but, once conceived, it haunted me day and night. object there was none. Passion there was none. I loved my seventh grade classes. They had never wronged me. They had never given me insult. for their behavior I had no problem. I think it was their low grades!

Yes, it was this! Some of their grades resembled that of a vulture-- a pale blue 'F' with a film over it. Whenever I wrote the 'F' my blood ran cold, and so by degrees, very gradually, I made up my mind to improve the grades of my seventh grade classes with an Edgar Allan Poe lesson that would incorporate a webquest with questions, and thus rid the class of 'F's' forever.

Instructions: Use the following links and ONLY the following links to answer the questions on your handout. When you are finished, click on the link to read Poe's poem "The Raven" and see me for your next assignment.

1.     The Edgar Allan Poe Museum Website: The main purpose of the site is to promote the museum. Fans of Poe, however, can find biographical information, a family tree of Poe, theories about his death, selected works, educational resources, and an online store. The site makes certain all information is credible and accurate.

2.     The Edgar Allan Poe Society ofBaltimore Website: Don't let the poor web design and subpar formatting deter you from the site. It's full of useful biographical information, studies of his writings, and copies of his short stories and poems. The site's main goal is to promote the Poe Society of Baltimore.

3.   PoeStories.com This is the Edgar Allan Poe of Edgar Allan Poe websites. In addition to biographical information, his complete short stories and poems, and a timeline of his writing, Poestories.com contains a photo gallery, quotes, summaries, wordlists, guestbook, links, and a forum. It is the most thorough of all Poe websites.

4.     The Knowing Poe Website: This is the most fun for students. In fact, I spent the last 25 minutes looking at videos and listening to audio versions of "The Raven," reading about the Poe Toaster, and checking out Edgar Allan Poe every day allusions. The site includes an excellent section for teachers with internet activities and lesson plans, and a section for parents to share Poe with their families.

Webquest Directions and Links found at this link.

Finished? Read "The Raven" HERE.




No comments:

Post a Comment